También en / Also in Spanish
World Health Organization defines it as “the most frequent disease in children”.
On May 1st it is held the Asthma World Day to sensitize the public in general an the media on the importance of one of the most relevant diseases lately.
- It is the commonest chronic disease in children and very frequent among adults. It can affect 250 to 300 millio people worldwide.
- It ia a global disease: no matter the development level of the country, alñthough this fact may have with its mortality. Most of the annual deaths (more than 80%) happen in developing countries.
- Asthma deaths coul rise up to 20% in the next few years. This could be avoided with the appropiate changes on diagnosis and treatmentr.
- The adequate treatmente can reduce the number of asthma-related deaths.
- With treatments, education and prevention programmes, asthma can be controlled and not be the most frequent chronic disease in children.
- It is quite common not to make a good diagnose in asthma patients, meaning a burden both for the patients an their family, restricting the patient’s activity during his/her life.